Friday, December 24, 2010

Reflections of a long forgotten city

 

abstract painting

 

When I begin to paint I have no idea of what I am going to do. I have types of paintings that I love and want to emulate and learn from, they are here locked in my heart.

So, with those thoughts in mind I just start painting, after I have chosen some colours and have had a prayer.

One of my lecturers whilst at University, told me to try and have my colours prepared so all I have to do is paint. I did that with this painting and enjoyed the composition that evolved.

As usual when I think the painting is near to completion I look at the painting for a while (I do this with every painting) and begin to understand what I have brought about.

I get a strong feeling of silhouettes of buildings from the Biblical days, even Jerusalem perhaps, at Sunset, and I think the lower ocher colour in block form on both sides could be baptismal fonts, dug out of clay.

I believe my method of painting can bring about my subconscious and experiences.

No comments: